In the spirit of autumn, apple picking, and farm fairs I am pulling this trick out of the oven. Taffy Apple Cookies bring the goodness of orchards and baked goodness to your home. The caramel, fresh apples, and nuts perfectly capture the essence of a good and sweet taffy apple. They also will give that box of Oreos in the back of your cabinet a run for their money. I like the spirit of this cookie. It is also so moist because the center is caramel gooeyness revealing itself in between bites. This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies.
- Apple (1 medium, diced)
- Flour (2 1/2 cup)
- Baking Powder (1 teaspoon) – Adding baking powder creates a more cakey textured cookie
- Baking Soda (1 teaspoon)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Sugar (1/2 cup)
- Brown Sugar(1 cup)
- Unsalted Butter (1/2 cup)
- Vanilla (1 teaspoon)
- Egg (2)
- Almond Milk (1 tablespoon)
- English Toffee Bits (1/2 cup)
- Chopped Nuts (1/2 cup- save extra for topping cookie-if desired)
- Baking Caramel Squares ( 1/2 square per cookie, placed at the center of each cookie dough scoop before baking)
- In medium mixing bowl sift and combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt)
- In another bowl mix together unsalted butter, milk, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar and eggs.
- Combine both mixtures together.
- Fold in apples, nuts, toffee bits.
- Chill dough for 15-20 mins.
- Halve your baking caramel squares.
- Scoop dough on cookie sheet and place caramel halves in the center of cookie dough scoops pressing gently.
- Bake for 12 minutes on 350ºF.
- When removing from the oven you can sprinkle remaining nuts onto cookies while warm.
- Let cool and serve.