Closing this week with another summer seafood recipe. There’s so much history in a bowl of grits. From Native Americans, to the Gullah and Geechee slaves, to their descendants and then to the world. For those that lived along the southeastern coast of the U.S pairing their various seafood catches with grits became a norm. Time passes and like most cuisines based in tradition and culture it is embraced and becomes widespread. Shrimp and grits for example can be found on the humblest of menus but also upscale. Cheddar, heavy creams, and smoky meats are now added to build on the existing flavor profile. Thinking of the journey that meals take us on; our ancestors’ “struggle” meals are now considered lavish entrees in many places.
I cooked the grits with parmesan, sharp cheddar, and buttermilk. In true “brunchnista” form, I food fashioned it with fresh lobster, crispy bacon and peppers.
- Lobster Tails (3)
- Garlic (2 cloves, minced)
- Butter (2 tablespoons)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
- Lemon Juice (1 teaspoon)
- Butterfly lobster with shears.
- Melt butter and mix in salt, pepper, lemon juice and garlic.
- Use a marinade brush to apply melted butter mixture on to lobster tails.
- Bake on a sheet pan in the oven on 425 for 12 minutes or until lobster is thoroughly cooked. (Tips to determine when lobster is done: When the shell is entirely red and the meat becomes white with no translucent areas.)
Grits Toppings Ingredients:
- Center Cut Bacon (1/2 cup, chopped)
- Green Bell Pepper (1 medium, diced)
- Chili Pepper (1, diced)
Grits Topping Instructions:
- In a medium skillet, fry bacon and peppers until bacon is brown and crispy.
- Set aside for plating with grits and lobster.
- Grits (1/2 cup)
- Shredded Parmesan (1/3 cup)
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar (1/3 cup)
- Buttermilk (1/3 cup)
- Butter (1 tablespoon)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Add 1/2 cup of grits to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in butter, buttermilk, parmesan, and cheddar until creamy.
- When serving top with crispy bacon /peppers and lobster.