Usually I bake my seafood, throwing everything on a sheet pan and shoving it in the oven. In an effort to keep the house cool on a warm day I decided to use my glorious instant pot. This pot is a magnificent modern day machine. I tickled myself with the thought of a show prefaced on witches/wizards being introduced to instant pots. Netflix, you there? Prepping the ingredients for this instant seafood pot took longer than the actual cook time. You need no more than 10 minutes to cook this dish resulting in an instant meal and instant cool points among friends. If you feel like showing off you can pretend it took all day.
I used a homemade Cajun blend of (kosher salt, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and cayenne). I also spiked the pot a bit with Guinness beer to add dimensions of flavor. I’ve used Guinness with burgers and steak but never seafood. The smooth richness of the chocolate notes as well as the bitter undertones pairs well with the smokiness of the Andouille sausage and acts as a carrier for the heat of the Cajun seasonings. I have been known to be heavy handed with spice. When considering what it would mean for the shrimp and crab legs I relied on the quality of the fresh seafood and also my belief that there is not one set of rules for discovering the depths of savory. This brewed pot did not disappoint. *cackles*
- Andouille Sausage (12 oz, sliced)
- Snow Crab Legs ( 1-2 clusters)
- Shrimp (1 pound, large)
- Baby Potatoes (1 pound)
- Corn (4, halved)
- Green Pepper (1, medium chopped)
- Chili Pepper (2, whole) * I told you I like spice.
- Garlic (3 cloves, minced)
- Onion ( 1/2, chopped)
- Lemon (1, medium to large) (half for lemon juice, half for serving wedges)
- Cajun Season Blend (mentioned above- can use your own desired blends)
- Guinness (1/2 cup)
- Unsalted Butter (4 tablespoons)
- Parsley (1 tablespoon, freshly chopped for garnish)
- In your instant pot add 2 tablespoons of butter, potatoes, garlic, onion, corn, peppers, seasoning blend, and Guinness. Pressure cook on high for 4 mins.
- Safely release steam an open instant pot.
- Stir in shrimp and add crab legs, lemon juice, remaining butter, and more seasoning if desired. Pressure cook on high for 4-5 more minutes, depending on the weight/amount of crab legs.
- Safely release steam and open pot.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges to serve.