I found myself down the internet rabbit hole of asparagus history today. I guess I got lost in the poetry of food which is quite easy for me. Imagine plates and table settings as edible literature. Back when Shakespeare was drawing breath and contemplating how to tug at our heartstrings people were in the markets referring to asparagus as sparrow grass. Have I “nerdied” up this post enough yet? After being on a few calls and virtual meetings, today was all about accomplishing simple cooking. The sort of simple cooking that does not look it; bouquets of sparrow grass wrapped in bacon bows. Enjoy!
- Asparagus (1 pound)
- Bacon (3 to 4 slices)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Olive Oil (1 tablespoon)
- Trim asparagus ends.
- Drizzle olive oil on asparagus, coating thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut the strips of bacon in half.
- Wrap 3 to 4 asparagus spears together with each halved bacon strip and place on a baking sheet. *Add a little bit more pepper if desired.
- Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes.