Giving takeout a run for its money with this lightly battered spicy orange shrimp recipe. It takes about 30 minutes to make and you can pair it with some veggies or rice.
- Uncooked Shrimp (1 pound, Peeled/Deveined)
- Egg Whites (2 eggs)
- Orange (1, sliced)
- Orange Juice (1/2 cup)
- Honey (1 tablespoons)
- Soy Sauce (1 tablespoon, low sodium)
- Cornstarch (1/3 cup)
- Vegetable Oil ( 1/3 cup)
- Green Onions (3 tablespoons)
- Dried Parsley Flakes (1 teaspoon)
- Crushed Red Pepper (2 tablespoons)
- Chili Powder (2 tablespoons)
- Salt/ Pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl whisk together egg whites, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper. This is your batter mix.
- Season shrimp with chili powder, 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the chopped green onions.
- Combine the seasoned shrimp with the batter mix thoroughly coating each shrimp.
- Heat a skillet with vegetable oil at medium heat and add shrimp. Cook uncovered for 3-5 mins, flipping to ensure both sides are turning golden in color and slightly crisping.
- While shrimp is cooking add orange juice, honey, soy sauce, and orange slices to the pan. Bring to a boil. Stir for about 3 minutes or until sauce has started to thicken/bubbling just around the edges.
- Stir in the cooked shrimp, coating each one with the sauce, and let simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with the remaining green onions, parsley, and serve.